There has been a new developer Q&A for Clash Royale, offering us insight on what the Clash Royale developers are thinking for the future of Clash Royale in the coming weeks and even years. The dev team answered 6 questions about the future and state of the game and here they are!
Clash Royale Developer Q&A
Will there be an ETA for new cards being released or are all of them going to be “coming soon”?
Our current plan is to keep them as “coming soon” until close to their release. This gives us more flexibility to release new cards when we think the time is right. We’re still aiming for roughly a new card each month, though, but we’re going for more of a “when they’re good and ready” approach now, rather than needing to release one every 2 weeks. That schedule was beginning to put pressure on the team and resulted in a couple of suboptimal card releases.
Since last update there is a group of people claiming that matchmaking now matches everyone according to PB. Despite evidence hinting that is not the case this keeps popping up. Could you clarify what changes have been implemented and which players are or are not influenced by it?
We made a small matchmaking change with the last update to try and prevent trophy dropping. The result is that people who have dropped a lot of trophies will be matched with other people who have also dropped – to try and contain the problem and disincentive it. However, our initial numbers were a little tight and ended up catching some players who weren’t intentionally dropping, so we make a small tweak and things are looking good now.
As always with matchmaking changes, we don’t go into details on them (because doing so can open up the possibility for people to game the system), but rest assured that we’re always monitoring and will make improvements if needed. However, we rarely touch the matchmaking code and like to keep it as simple as possible (less stuff can go wrong if the rules are simple). For the most part you’re purely matched based on your trophy count and nothing else; and no, there is nothing that matches you against your counter deck!
What made you decide that a heal mechanic would now benefit the game in a balanced way where as before it was ruled out?
Initially we thought that healing mechanics would promote more defensive gameplay, but after prototyping and playtesting the heal spell, we soon saw that almost everyone used heal purely on offense to bolster an attack and it actually encouraged more interesting and offensive gameplay… so quite the opposite of our initial feelings! 😅
Also, in an earlier version of the game (before soft launch), we had a builder type character who healed/repaired structures. Unsurprisingly, this really reinforced defensive and siege gameplay, so we probably had some unwarranted reservations about heal mechanics from those days!
With everyone loving clan battles, is there a good chance they will completely replace the normal clan chests?
We’ve talked about that, but I wouldn’t say there’s a “good chance” of it happening. We’d like to try and always run a special Challenge over the Clan Chest weekend, so ideally it becomes more fun and a bit easier to contribute towards. On the other hand, the Clan Battle Chest is awesome and we’re exploring ways to make it a bigger part of the game.
How do you plan to address the overleveling issue of common cards?
We don’t have any plans to address/change this at the moment. For a better explanation of why, check out the latest episode of Radio Royale at the 8m 40s mark.
At various points in time you have mentioned creating a more relaxed game mode. Is there any possibility that a casual mode will be coming to the game soon?
Yes, we have some stuff in this area coming with the next update. It’s too soon to start talking about it yet, as things can and do change often, so temper those expectations if you can! It’s not going to be a full-blown single player mode, but there are elements of that coming. PvE is inherently more casual than PvP, so the idea is that this should tick some of the boxes when it comes to more casual play options. Again, don’t hold us to any of the above please, but we are thinking and working towards some more casual stuff… 😎
Developer Q&A Analysis
Alright so that gave us a ton of insight into some of the biggest questions in Clash Royale as of April 2017. Lets run through all of this and sort out the important pieces of info!
- “we’re going for more of a “when they’re good and ready” approach now, rather than needing to release one every 2 weeks.”– Well we won’t be seeing the luxurious new card every 2 weeks anymore. It seems that after they announce the card, they will keep tweaking it until it’s perfect.
- “initial numbers were a little tight and ended up catching some players who weren’t intentionally dropping, so we make a small tweak and things are looking good now”– I remember this so well in Clash Royale since I’m always dropping. Basically they made matchmaking good again and we won’t see as many droppers as before.
- “everyone used heal purely on offense to bolster an attack and it actually encouraged more interesting and offensive gameplay”- This statement gives us a bit of insight into what strategies look strong with the heal spell. Purely an offensive card, it appears.
- “I wouldn’t say there’s a “good chance” of it happening”- In regard to having clan battle chest every week. Unfortunately, this isn’t great as most people see the clan battle chest as fun and the normal clan chest as a chore. Honestly, I can’t see them keeping this and I think the good chance will eventually happen.
- “We don’t have any plans to address/change this at the moment”– No plans to fix common overleveling. I agree, it would require a huge overhaul of the system; just not worth it.
- “we are thinking and working towards some more casual stuff… 😎”- NEW GAMEMODE! We should see a much more casual version that doesn’t deal with trophies or rewards coming soon, maybe within a couple updates!
Well that’s it for these developer Q&A questions and answers! I always enjoy these developer Q&As so let me know what you guys think about these answers in the comment section below. Thanks for reading and come back soon for more Clash Royale content!
Subscribe to us on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNo3IxCrp34erbCRLmG8HIA